September 19, 2005

Dos Gringos Mediocre at Logan's Alley

The band at Logan's last night was weak, especially compared to NightCrawler last week. They were calling themselves "Dos Gringos," although it seemed more like three guys to me - guitar/vocals, bass, drums (bongo drums). While they were mellow enough and seemed to have some talent, it was far short of transendent. While we were there the only song I recognized was - admittedly a very nice selection - "The Weight" by The Band. It really doesn't matter who's playing it, I like hearing that song, but Gringos' version was pretty lame. Incidentally, I was thinking about rocking the jukebox prior to the band starting and I was going to play that exact song off of the Starsky & Hutch soundtrack. I decided to wait (eh, wait/weight) because it was already after 9:00 at that point and I didn't want to have my songs preempted when the band started.

If you have a few minutes click on this link.

Speaking of the Starsky & Hutch soundtrack, one might wonder why "The Weight" by The Band was in a recent parody-type film starring Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. The reason, of course, is the inclusion of a brilliant reference to a classic scene from Easy Rider, which contains the very same song. I only wish I had seen Easy Rider before I saw Starsky & Hutch. Regardless, it was an identifiable reference - plus that's and awesome song, one of the best.

P.S. - Another good one by The Band is "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," actually I have no idea what the name of the song is, but that's the chorus.

P.P.S. - They put some chalk out by the board in the bathroom, so "NightCrawler Rocks" now appears there twice, as well as a simple shout out to "Little Feat." Each of the "NightCrawler Rocks" messages were done on totally separate incidences, with no idea that the other had taken place. Great minds think alike, I guess.

No comments: